The Camden campus of Rutgers Law School offers extensive opportunities for students to earn academic credit while working for various public and private nonprofit agencies and governmental agencies. These placements teach both civil and criminal legal skills.
Students currently have the opportunity to choose between a number of “Standing” Field Placements or create their own practice externship experience (Ad Hoc Placement). “Standing” Field Placements have ongoing relationships with the faculty supervisor and keep the faculty supervisor apprised of student pre-requisites and the application deadlines. Ad Hoc Placements obtained by the student must be approved by the faculty supervisor.
Standing Civil Field Placements include:
- US Attorney’s Office in Philadelphia
- Office of the NJ Attorney General
- Rutgers New Brunswick Office of General Counsel
- Rowan University Office of General Counsel
- NJ Office of the Public Defender Mental Health Unit
Standing Criminal Field Placements include:
- Camden County Prosecutor
- Gloucester County Prosecutor
- Burlington County Prosecutor
- New Jersey Office of the Public Defender (includes all counties but is managed through the statewide office in Trenton)
These positions may allow students to appear in court under the student practice rules of New Jersey or Pennsylvania.
Ad Hoc Field Placements:
In addition to the Standing Field Placements, students have the opportunity to create their own practice externship (upon law faculty approval). The past few semesters students have had Practice Externships with the following placements:
- Securities Exchange Commission
- Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia
- Mazzoni Center of Philadelphia
- Juvenile Law Center
- New Jersey Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Cooper Hospital
- Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office
- Fair Share Housing in Philadelphia
- Volunteers for the Arts in Philadelphia
- Innocence Project in Philadelphia
- Institutional Law Project of Philadelphia
For more information about how Practice Externship works review the PowerPoint from a recent information session or contact Sandra Simkins, Distinguished Clinical Professor, Director of Practice Externships/Field Placements, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (856) 225-6646.
For more information about judicial placements, visit our Judicial Externships page.