In Newark, the Moot Court Board organizes and support teams attending various regional, national, and international competitions. Members of the Board are selected each spring through a competitive try-on process and compete in either the fall Nathan Baker Trial Competition or the spring David Cohn Appellate Advocacy Competition. The two competitions are also open to students who are not members of the board. The board also runs other training and informational events open to all students. Associate Dean Andrew Rossner serves as faculty adviser to the board.
You can find more informationa bout the Rutgers Moot Court Board on its website.
The National Mock Trial Team competes in regional and national trial competitions. Team members are selected at a spring try-on competition at the end of their first or second year. Team members receive intensive training in the following year through a team trial advocacy class, taking evidence, and an intensive team practice schedule. The National Appellate Team is selected through the Cohn Competition and, once selected, receive intensive training in oral advocacy.
Aside from competing on the National Trial or Appellate Team, students, whether board members or not, have many opportunities to compete on board-sponsored or -assisted teams in specialized competitions. Teams have competed in:
- The Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (sponsored by the International Law Students Association)
- ICC International Commercial Mediation Competition (sponsored by the ICC International Centre for ADR)
- The Price Media Law Moot Court Programme Competition (sponsored by University of Oxford)
- The Dean Jerome Prince Memorial Evidence Competition (sponsored by Brooklyn Law School)
- National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition (sponsored by Pace University School of Law)
- Herbert J. Wechsler National Criminal Law Moot Court Competition (sponsored by the University at Buffalo Law School)
- The Annual August A. Rendigs, Jr. National Products Liability Moot Court Competition (sponsored by the University of Cincinnati College of Law)
- Annual Irving R. Kaufman Memorial Securities Law Moot Court Competition (sponsored by Fordham University School of Law)
- BMI Entertainment and Communications Law Moot Court Competition (sponsored by Cardozo Law School)