The Rutgers Law Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic (MFC) provides legal assistance and representation to low and moderate-income homeowners in Southern New Jersey who are at risk of losing their homes in foreclosure. The types of assistance provided by the Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic includes:
- meeting clients for limited consultation and providing information about the foreclosure process, including the time-frame for foreclosure, Sheriff’s Sale, and ejectment following Sheriff’s Sale;
- filing motions to postpone Sheriff’s Sale or ejectment following Sheriff’s Sale;
- preparing applications for mortgage modification mediation through the Court and representing that client throughout the modification process, including at mediation;
- assisting clients with mortgage modification applications to the mortgage company, bank, or loan servicing company;
- evaluating matters to determine if there are valid defenses to a foreclosure Complaint and, if so, preparing an Answer to the foreclosure Complaint and representing the homeowner in litigation;
- providing representation on an appeal of a final judgment of foreclosure.
Legal assistance and representation is provided by law students acting under the supervision of a licensed attorney. The Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic accepts a limited number of cases during the academic year (mid-August to April).
If you need legal services, call the clinic at (856) 225-6568
If you are interested in finding out if the Mortgage Foreclosure Clinic might be able to help you in your foreclosure matter, please call (856) 225-6568 and leave a message. Someone will return your call during the hours of 9 am and 4 pm, usually within 2 business days of your phone call. Please include in your message whether it is alright to leave a message at your phone number.
Clarifi: a HUD-certified financial counseling agency authorized by the State of New Jersey to assist homeowners seeking to modify their mortgage, including through Court-ordered mediation.
Community Health Law Project: provides legal assistance to low-income individuals in Southern New Jersey living with disabilities.
South Jersey Legal Services: provides legal assistance to low-income individuals in a variety of matters.