We are excited to welcome you and the rest of the Fall 2023 Entering Class to Rutgers Law! In an effort to make your transition to becoming a law student as smooth as possible, be sure to follow the instructions below prior to starting your journey at Rutgers Law School. 

Many of the items can be completed in advance; some are required, while others are encouraged. Updates will continue to be made to this page throughout the spring and summer.

Next Steps
  • 1. Reserve Your Seat
  • 2. Activate NetID & Email
  • 3. Immunization Forms
  • 4. Rutgers ID Card
  • 5. Housing
  • 6. Parking Permits
  • 7. Final Transcript
  • 8. Student Health Insurance & Services
  • 9. Financial Aid & Term Bills
  • 10. Class Schedules & Books
  • 11. Accommodations

To reserve your place in the Fall 2023 Entering Class, we do require that you submit a non-refundable deposit to secure your seat. Deposits will be applied toward your Fall 2023 tuition and various fees. If you want to change your assigned campus location, please contact the Office of Admissions at admissions@law.rutgers.edu before submitting your deposit or Deposit Waiver Agreeement.

After you remitting your full deposit or Deposit Waiver Agreement, you will need to activate your NetID in order to gain access to several essential services, such as your email account. To do so, you will need to provide your Social Security Number or RUID, which was provided to you following the submission of your full deposit or Agreement. (If you recently attended Rutgers, your RUID, NetID, email address, and password will remain the same.)

Activate Your NetID

In order to access many of the electronic services available to you at Rutgers, you need to activate your Rutgers NetID. Your assigned NetID will appear on the activation screen.

What does NetID and Services Activation do?

  • Sets your authentication password
    This is the password you will use for most electronic services.
  • Allows you to setup your security questions and answers
    You can choose to select three questions and answers that will help you reset your password.
  • Establishes your Rutgers email address
    This is the email address to which Rutgers University will send official communications and notices.

Rutgers University has mandated that all students must be fully vaccinated and boostered for COVID-19 before they are allowed to be on campus or live in on-campus housing.

If you need to apply for an exemption for health, religious, or other reasons, there are instructions on the website as to the procedure to follow. Each case will be considered individually by the University.

Submit Immunization Records

To enter your vaccination and immunization information, click the button above. This is especially critical if you plan to live in on-campus housing. (Recent Rutgers Graduates: the University already has your records in the system. You do not have to resubmit your immunization records, but you should check with them to be sure.)

In order to receive your ID card at the time of Orientation, you must submit a photo online by August 1. Otherwise, you will need to visit an ID Card Service Center on campus to obtain your ID card. Your Rutgers ID card will grant you access into the Law School and various buildings across campus.

Submit Your Photo

Rutgers University Alumni: If you have a Rutgers ID card issued on or after 2019, you do not need a new ID card. However, if you no longer have it, you will need to visit an ID Card Service Center to acquire a new one.

The housing portal to apply for graduate housing becomes available in mid-May. Housing is a 12-month contract only. Please contact the Office of Admissions if you are experiencing issues accessing the portal once it is open.

Apply for Housing


On-campus housing is available at 330 Cooper, located a three-minute walk from the Law School. Housing rates and other details can be found here.  


On-campus housing is available at Ruth Bader Ginsberg Hall, 15 Washington Street,  located a five-minute walk from the Law School. Housing rates and other details can be found here.


Registration for parking permits becomes available in late July. Incoming students will be emailed once registration is open. Details regarding costs and lot locations can be found here.

Upload a final, official undergraduate transcript to the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) by Orientation. You are required to submit this final official transcript denoting a degree conferral date by September 1 to be in compliance with the ABA Standard 502. The ABA has stated that students must provide a final official transcript or the law school will be required to administratively withdraw students.

If you graduated and submitted your final transcript at the time of applying to Rutgers Law School, you will have satisfied this requirement.

Rutgers Graduates: The University will send us a transcript free of charge. To take advantage of this, email a request to the University Registrar in New Brunswick at trnscrpt@registrar.rutgers.edu. Include your name, RUID number, and the address of the Office of Admissions in Camden or Newark. Or, you can order a transcript here.

Enroll in or opt out of health insurance coverage. Rutgers Law School automatically enrolls and bills full-time students for coverage unless the student waives coverage online. Health insurance is mandatory for all full-time students. Part-time students are not required to maintain active health insurance coverage, but they are eligible to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan.

For more information about Rutgers' medical, dental and vision insurance, please click here.

View Financial Aid Award

Term bills are not generated until credits have been entered into the University Registration System, which takes place over the summer. Once pre-registration is completed, you will receive an email with information about how to access your term bill.

Complete the tuition refund and direct deposit form to all the University to electronically send a tuition account refund directly to your bank account. Mailed checks can often be delayed.

The award letter from the University Financial Aid Office will contain the loans you qualify for - you do not have to accept more than what you need. If you did not file a FAFSA, you may not have an award.

To see the estimated costs of attendance for the Law School, visit the University website and click on the drop-down for the law school. The Board of Governors votes on the official 2023-24 tuition and fees at their last meeting in late June/early July.

If you have questions about financial aid, please contact:

Newark: Tai Gedeon

Camden: Cassandra Hunter

Entering first-year law students do not register for fall classes. The class registration is automatic and done by the Registrar’s Office. You will receive an email in late July with information on how to view your class schedule.

You will be in a set schedule of core classes that include Legal Analysis, Writing, and Research; Torts; Civil Procedure; and Contracts* (*part-time and Summer Jump Start students do not take Contracts in the fall).

You will be provided a booklist and be able to purchase books once you have been assigned to a track and given your class schedule. Both Camden and Newark have on-campus bookstores located within a short walk from the Law Schools.

Camden Bookstore

Newark Bookstore

Sarah Regina (Newark) and Louis Thompson (Camden), the Law School's Associate Deans of Student Affairs, work with students who may require accommodations and help guide them through the process of applying for accommodations through the University's Office of Disability Services (ODS). Rutgers values the diverse experiences that students with disabilities bring to the Law School community. 

Students who may require accommodations are encouraged to contact the appropriate Rutgers Law Associate Dean of Student Affairs or the Office of Disability Services in Newark or Camden as soon as possible to ensure that those accommodations are approved in a timely fashion. Students may begin the process of requesting services or accommodation by registering with ODS. Requests for accommodations must be accompanied by documentation specified by the Office of Disability Services.